The Genosky Local History collection was created by Fr. Landry Genosky, O.F.M. (1914-1994) from his study of the history of the city of Quincy, Illinois highlighting the Civil War and the Steamboat Eras. The Genosky collection contains documents and photographs dated from 1830-1980 and measures about 75 linear feet.
Fr. Genosky was a professor of history at Quincy University (1960-1975) and a noted Civil War historian. He created this collection through his own research efforts and from donations from many local families. The collection consists of letters, legal documents, research reports, newspaper clippings and scrapbooks. There is also an extensive photograph collection, in several rare photographic formats, containing portraits and city views as local businesses, public buildings, schools, homes, etc. The Genosky Collection is partially organized and is available to researchers. The Collection has been organized into three major divisions: secondary source documents as booklets, clippings and research reports; primary source documents as letters, diaries and legal papers; and photographs. As of this time, a complete archival guide to the Genosky Collection is not available, so researchers should contact the archivist, Patricia Tomczak, for advise before visiting the collection.