registrar registration

Students admitted to the University enroll in classes through the Office of the Registrar or with their advisor on the specific dates listed in the University calendar. All degree-seeking students must consult with their designated faculty advisor prior to registration for written approval to register for courses.

The normal course load for a full-time undergraduate student varies from 15 to 18 credit hours. Approval for more than 18 hours must be sought from the Vice President for Academic Affairs, and $300 per credit hour is charged for each credit hour over 18.

A late registration fee may be charged to those who fail to register by the end of the add/drop period at the beginning of each semester.

No credit is granted for courses in which the student is not properly registered. Proper registration, including dropping and adding courses, is the personal responsibility of each student.

Full-Time Students

The minimum course load required to maintain full-time undergraduate status during the regular semester is 12 credit hours. Eighteen hours is considered the ordinary maximum; permission to exceed this limit must be sought from the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Part-Time Students

Undergraduate students enrolled for fewer than 12 credit hours during a regular semester are classified as part-time students. Costs are determined on a per credit-hour basis.

Class Standing

Class standing or rank is determined by the number of credit hours completed as shown on the following scale:

Credit Hours   Class Rank
 0-23.9  Freshman
 24-47.9  Sophomore
 48-85.9  Junior
 86 or more  Senior

Changes in Registration

All changes in registration (adding or dropping courses, or changing sections of courses) must be made officially in the Office of the Registrar by completing the proper forms.

Dropping or Adding Courses and/or Withdrawal from Courses

It is a student's responsibility to be properly registered for courses and to adhere to University policies regarding adding and dropping courses:

  • No student may add a course after the add/drop period without approval from the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  • Courses officially dropped before the end of the add/drop period will not be recorded on transcripts.
  • Courses officially dropped after the end of the add/drop period will be recorded with a grade of "W".

"Official drop or withdrawal" means that a student has submitted to the Registrar the official forms including instructor and advisor signatures. Normally, students may not withdraw from individual courses after the eleventh week of a semester or the 6th week of an 8-week course. If extenuating circumstances apply, the student may petition withdrawal through the Vice President for Academic Affairs. A student who stops attending a class without an official withdrawal will be given an "F" for the course on the transcript. See Class Attendance Policy, p. 16. See the summer course schedule for summer term add/drop dates.

Withdrawal for Military Service

When a student is called to active military service during an academic term, it is the student's responsibility to notify the Registrar and to provide copies of the appropriate military orders. A student called to active military service will be allowed a reasonable time to complete course requirements missed during his or her military duty. The student will receive a grade of "IN" (incomplete) if the absence extends through the end of the semester. When completion of the course requirements is impractical, the student may choose to withdraw from the course(s). If no academic credit is received, all tuition and fees paid by the student, minus any financial aid that must be returned to the funding programs, will be applied to the semester during which the student returns. Room and board payments will be credited on a pro-rated basis.

Withdrawal from the University/Leave of Absence

Students who find it necessary to withdraw from the University must contact the Office of the Registrar to complete an official withdrawal form and/or a Leave of Absence request.

A student who stops attending a course(s) or the University without filing an official withdrawal will be given an "F" for each course on the transcript. See "Class Attendance Policy," p. 16, and "Refunds: Tuition," p. 32.

Quincy University students can take a Leave of Absence from the University for up to ONE full year. This leave of absence guarantees that the student will not have to reapply to the University when they return, and they will remain under their entry-year level catalog requirements.