School of Education

Traditional Initial Certification

Congratulation for getting to this point! Please find directions and links for all the forms you need for the Initial Certification. The application MUST be mailed. For information and interview purposes, your Initial Certification will be one of the following numbers depending on your program:

  • Type 03 – Elementary Education
  • Type 09 - Secondary Education
  • Type 10 – Special K-12 (Spec. Ed., Music, and P.E.)

Special Note to “Mid-Year” Certificate Entries – Anytime after school starts…

You may need the certification now, but take note that certificates go by fiscal years. The fiscal year starts July 1 and your first year will end on June 30. If you are registered with your ROE under your Provisional Alt. Cert., you can wait until July to enter your Intitial Certification to get the full first year. You can send in your paperwork to the certification officer who can hold your paperwork until July to get the full benefit of the first year. Remember, 4 complete years of teaching on the Initial Certificate and a professional development option is required in order to transition from the Initial Certificate to the Standard Certificate. Visit ISBE for information on Initial Certificates and transition to Standard Certificate.

You may also have a stipulation with your district where they need the certificate entered for next year’s validity. If that’s the case, you may have to enter the certificate now. With this circumstance, you will renew the Intitial Certificate in 2014 ($20), and then when you completely qualify, you can transition to the Standard Certificate before the next 4 year period is finished. You can contact your ROE when that time comes for specific directions. Click here to search the ROE Directory. It is completely up to you, and you can let your certification offier know your decision.
Apply during or after student teaching to coincide with your program completion.

  • BS/PDP ONLY: Degree must be conferred by the Registrar’s office for certification entry.
  • BS/PDP/MSE: The original application must be received must be received by mail.
  • BS/PDP/MSE: All grades, especially Student Teaching/Seminar grades, must be posted on your transcript as a C or better.
  • BS/PDP/MSE: All testing needs to be completed.
  • BS/PDP/MSE: All official transcripts must be received. Those students with Substitute or Type 29 licenses are not required to repeat all transcripts, but must request the QU transcript.
Specific forms and directions:
73-03 Initial Cert. Application – Complete and MAIL to the Certification Officer at Quincy University, 1800 College Avenue, Quincy, IL 62301. The original form is needed for your file. Note: Signature of applicant is required two times on this form. There is a signature box towards the top of the page and a signature line towards the bottom of the form. You can fax this form to let the Certification Officer know that you are starting the process and your mailed copy will be coming soon. School of Ed. Fax: 217-228-5418

QU Official Transcript Request Form – Complete and fax to the Registrar’s Office at QU – Fax # 217-228-5283. Request that the official transcript be sent to the Certification Officer at Quincy University. It will be interoffice mailed to me. At the time of your Initial Cert. Application, your QU transcript needs to be official and grades need to be posted. BS Students: A degree should be conferred, and your certification courses need to be completed. MSE Students: A degree may or may not be conferred, but your certification courses need to be completed.

ALL Official Transcripts except QU – Request transcripts from any of your prior institutions for your ISBE file. The transcripts should be sent to the Certification Officer at Quincy University, 1800 College Avenue, Quincy, IL 62301. Your file will be sent to ISBE for you. Note: Degree seeking and non-degree classes taken at universities/colleges/community colleges should be included, so they can be sent all together, and you will have a complete file at the ISBE office. Additional: NTEC students that sent 4 copies of transcripts to the NTEC office upon getting admitted, can request that NTEC forward the certificiation copies down to me. They are aware of this process.

QU Graduation Application – If applicable, complete and fax to the Registrar’s Office at QU – 217-228-5283. Typically, each year, Fall graduates need to apply by Nov. 1, and Spring graduates need to apply by Mar. 1. Certification is not automatic with graduation, and graduation requirements are not met automatically with certification. Both areas need to be dealt with separately. There is only one ceremony in May if you’d like to prepare for travel plans.

Testing – Before certification can be processed, you must have passing scores on your Basic Skills, content test(s), and the APT. (APT is taken during or right after Student Teaching. Check the ICTS site for testing days and information. ) For any endorsement to be included with your application, the appropriate test(s) need(s) to be passed for those, as well.

Educator Certification System (ECS) - You can check your certification status, testing, etc. using the ECS system. ECS is the site where you will make your payments for any Certification Notifications. You can log-on to ECS at any time and set-up your account. This will make it easier when you need to pay for your certification; you’ll already have your account information.

Payment – Your certificate will be entered by the Certification Officer at Quincy University. You will be sent an email notification of your certificate entry including a link to the ECS site. You will be able to pay online. Do not send payment with your application. You can print your certificate, access it online on the ECS site, and your employer can access it on ECS. You will get an original copy of your certificate in the mail, from ISBE, within 4-6 weeks.

Important Links for Information:
Registrar Office
ICTS Testing Site - Look at Study Guides and Test Frameworks
Test Study Guides - Type a test number and get a list
ISBE Certification
ISBE - Educator Certification System (ECS) - check certification and testing

Contact Us

For more information about the School of Education, contact:
Dr. Bruce Spitzer
217.228.5432 ext. 3106
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Bachelor's Degrees

Elementary Education (K-9)
Exercise Science
Physical Education (K-12)
Sign Language Interpreter Program
Special Education (K-12)
Sport Management

Secondary Programs
Secondary Education Certification (6-12) in the following areas:

  • Biological Sciences
  • English
  • History
  • Mathematics

Special Certification (K-12) in the following areas:

  • Physical Education
  • Music Education

Master's Degrees
Master of Science in Education
Master of Science in Education in Counseling (Clinical Mental Health Counseling)
Master of Science in Education in Counseling (School Counseling)

Graduate Credit Continuing Education

Off-Campus Chicago Program
These programs are administered jointly through the School of Education and representatives of the respective teaching fields.

  • Master of Science in Education with Certification
    • Alternative Track
    • Traditional Track
  • Accelerated Bachelor's Degree Completion Program