What is IMPACT Mentoring?
The IMPACT Mentoring Program was developed to assist first year students in their transition to QU. Incoming first year students will be paired with an upper class student who will serve as their mentor throughout their first academic year and will provide leadership and guidance. IMPACT was first launched in August 2012 and we are very excited about entering our second year!
What do IMPACT Mentors do?
- Assist first years with their social, personal and academic transition to QU
- Share their knowledge and experiences on how to be successful at QU
- Actively listen and positively support their mentees through the academic year
Think a mentor is what you want?
How do I become a mentor?
An IMPACT mentor must possess the following:
- Be an upperclass student (at least sophomore standing) and in good standing with the university
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Have a commitment to helping students
- Be attentive and reliable
- Ability to provide leadership and guidance
- Be committed to the program for one academic year (fall, spring)
How does the IMPACT program benefit first year students?
- Learn from the experiences their mentor shares
- Have a mentor that is committed to seeing that their mentees have a successful first year
- Develop a deeper connectedness to the campus
- Gaining a confidant to serve as a sounding board to answer questions or simply be an ear to hear
What kinds of activities are associated with IMPACT?
- Meet Your Mentor (during Welcome Weekend)
- Bowling Night
- Group service project in the community
- Laser tag
- Study breaks (during midterm and finals)